Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Throwing stones... is your sin worse than mine?


There is no judgment or condemnation in Jesus, as he has showed us many times throughout the Bible.  The one, that I found to stand out to me, while reading tonight was in John 8:11.  This is where Jesus was asked by the Jews on how he would handle a woman being found guilty of adultery.   

During the time of Moses, he had said that if a woman was found guilty of the crime, adultery, she should be stoned to death.  The Jews, in this situation, again, were trying to catch Jesus so they would be able to accuse him of some wrong doing.   Jesus took a moment, and I love this, he bent down and was writing in the dirt.  They then asked him the same questions, and this time Jesus said, let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.  Then he bent back down and proceeds to write in the dirt with his finger.  

The people, who moments before Jesus spoke, were so quick to stone her, started to feel their conscience rise up in them, because they too are not without sin,  one by one they started to throw their rocks down and leave, until it was just Jesus and the woman.  

Jesus asks the woman where are your accusers.  Basically, see, you are not alone in your sin.  He then tells her in John 8:11 that he does not condemn her either, and to go on her way, and sin no more.  

There are so many things I love about this small part of the story.  One, I love, that Jesus after being asked what should happen with this woman, bent down to write in the dirt.   As if people weren’t already suspicious of his mental state now he is fueling the fire by playing in the dirt, instead of answering the question.   What just tickles me with this, is that I believe that Jesus used writing in the sand as a way to deflect the question, and have some time to hear from God on how to answer them.  

This is a great lesson for us in life.  There are many times when we speak to quickly, and then almost instantly wish we could take back the words that we have just said.    If maybe we would be silent and in those moments ask God for how to answer the question, or wait for the Holy Spirit to direct us, maybe we would have less of those moments. 

I enjoy how Jesus will answer a question posed to him with a question right back to you.  Now, I like this while reading the Bible, but I am not that happy with it, when it’s happening in my conversations with him.  But I understand why he does it.  Well at least I think it’s to get us thinking about what should be done in the situation.  

In this case, here you have this woman, who has committed adultery, something that we know is wrong, and is written in the Ten Commandments, but Jesus so quietly points out that we are not without sin too.   So just because this woman made the mistake of committing adultery, we should stone her to death?  What makes this sin any worse than the sins that you have committed?  What makes her sin worse than yours, and for that matter, if we are going to stone her for her sins, than shouldn’t we be stoning you for yours?   

There is no way that you can stand and hear that question, and continue to stand there with the stone in your hand.  Your sin is not worse, or better, than hers, so how can you be in judgment of something you yourself have done. 

My favorite part of this story is when Jesus is having a chat with the Woman, as they are the only ones left, and he asks her, so where are your accusers now?  Where are those who condemn you?   Jesus then says to her, I do not condemn you either.  Go on your way and from now on sin no more.

Just like that!  Go on your way and sin no more.  There wasn’t a five page lecture about how your sin was horrible, and you have truly disappointed your God.  There was no, you’re a bad person and you should do a list of things to get yourself back into the good graces with God.  Nope, just I don’t condemn you either and sin no more.   

I love that!!  I want to high five Jesus for saying that!   He is saying I take you as you are.  I know who you are when I came into contact with you, and I love you anyway.  I love you no matter what shape you come to me in, because I know my love will mold you into my image!  The Faith that Jesus had in God, but also in Man, is beautiful. 

I am not sure how you can see all the faults of a person, know that they might plan on doing you harm, and love them anyway!   And then, ask them to come into relationship with you, anyway!  The Goodness of Jesus amazes me.   This is why we strive to be changed into his image and have the mind of Christ.   

Jesus didn’t come to give the world pain, condemnation and confusion.  Jesus came to set the world free of those things.  We need to learn a lesson here from the story of the adulterous woman, and see our own sin before we see someone else’s.   We don’t know the back story with this woman.  We don’t know what caused her to make such a poor decision.  What we do know is that we all have fallen short of the Glory of God, and if we were stoned for every sin we committed, there would be no one left on this earth.    

Next time you want to come into judgment on a person’s behavior, take a moment, write in the dirt if you need too, but take a moment, and check your inner man, the Holy Spirit, and see if you too are not a sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment