Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Who is ruling your life Darkness or the Light of God?

Acts 8:9  But there was a man named Simon, who had formerly practiced magic arts in the city to the utter amazement of the Samaritan nation, claiming that he himself was an extraordinary and distinguished person. (10) They all paid earnest attention to him, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is that exhibition of the power of God which is called great (intense).

In reading these two verses tonight in Acts, I was actually amazed that people over 2000 years ago were dealing with acts of darkness.  I don’t know why I was so taken back by this, but I truly was.   It amazes me that for over 2000 years we have still believed and bought into the powers of darkness. 
I believe all of this “magic” talk and acts have diluted the understanding of God.  I think many people, including myself for some time, thought of God’s miracles as a “magic” trick.  I thought that is was some form of “magic” for lack of better word.  I feel like this confusion and ignorance still exists today.
I know that in any town, city or even rural area you can find a psychic, tarot card reader, palm reader or some variation of all three, who will claim to tell you your future, at a cost, of course.  I have in my past visited people who have read my palm, cards or told me my fortune, and some of them I foolishly believed.   I was among the population of people who didn’t realize that it was wrong for me to do this.   That by doing this I was personally inviting darkness into my life.
These two verses made me think of that time in my life, and made me ache for people who actually live their lives by this evil and darkness.   I thought it was interesting that people that long ago were also falling victim to the same traps we are still falling for today.  
In verse 10 where it states that people thought that this man Simon, was exhibiting the same power that God exhibited, was eye opening to me.  It opened my eyes to the way the deceiver, satan, can work wonders without us even questioning the acts.   Simon was walking around considering himself to be an extraordinary and a distinguished person, but his life was consumed by evil and darkness.  The people he came into contact with also, bought into the lies of satan.
Please tell me you see these things happening in our lives today.   We have more television shows glorifying the likes of black “magic” than I remember ever having.  There are more shows about vampires, ghosts, zombies and dark forces than I care to even recognize in the world today.  This is a way to glamorize, influence and water down, the effects of darkness and satan. 
When we are watching things like these as entertainment, we are glamorizing sin and destruction that has been in the world for thousands of years now.  We are giving it a stamp of approval.  I am not condemning anyone who watches these shows, as I wonder just like Simon; do they realize exactly what they are doing?
It says in Acts 8:12 But when they believed the good news (the Gospel) about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ (the Messiah) as Philip preached it, they were baptized, both men and women. 
We see here the adjustments made when the light of Jesus entered into their hearts and minds.  We see that there was a change in their thinking and what was appropriate for them and what was not appropriate for them. 
When you have the Holy Spirit living inside of you, which comes when you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, your desires begin to change.  You begin to want to fill your life up with things that are pleasing to God.   Things that make Him happy and comfortable, the Holy Spirit will never be comfortable living in a place of darkness, as He is the bringer of light.   Both cannot exist in the same space, which is why the Holy Spirit and His light will chase the darkness out of not only you, but also your entertainment choices.
Now, we see that the people around Simon have changed, but what about Simon?  I am sure as the people changed around him, so did the glory and acceptance of him change.  I am sure Simon was confused and befuddled as Simon, was also misled to believing he was doing something that was good and acceptable to God.
In verse 13 we find out about Simon.  Even Simon himself believed (he adhered to, trusted in, and relied on the teaching of Philip), and after being baptized, devoted himself constantly to him.  And seeing signs and miracles of great power which were being performed, he was utterly amazed.
Simon was restored!  He was made whole!  I love this!! I want to clap and cheer as once again light has defeated darkness! 
The last sentence of verse 13 is powerful.  Remember Simon was the one who was performing “magic” acts, so when it says that after he saw signs and miracles he was utterly amazed.  His spirit connected with the truth of God’s signs and miracles.
Simon saw truth instead of darkness and lies.  His eyes were opened and he was informed of our Lord and Savior.   He had been deceived into thinking that he was acceptable and right, not only by  satan but also through the people around him, who were also being used by satan.   Simon was given a false sense of security that his actions were approved and acceptable, until he recognized where his approval and acceptance was coming from. 
When you live in a lifestyle that sin is acceptable it is very difficult to differentiate yourself from your acts of sin.  There is no one telling you that your behavior is wrong and that you are in fact harming yourself with your decisions.  When you encircle yourself with people, entertainment and behavior that are of the world, you will find it hard to step outside of the sin that you are committing.
They say a lot of people who have drug addiction problems will feel uncomfortable around people who do not use drugs.  They feel abnormal in those surroundings.  This is part of the problem when needing to break free from not only the addiction, but the surroundings that led you to that addiction. 
My mom has always told me that traditionally, you are like the company you keep.  I can say in most cases, she is right.  She would be so happy to hear me say that!!  The influences and distractions of people who are living a lifestyle similar to yours will give you a false sense of security, just as it did Simon.
BUT!!!!  Just as Simon was able to change, so are you!  Simon was given restoration when he saw the error of his ways, and accepted Jesus as his savior, and so can you!  There is a way to move away from the darkness of sin and sadness that has you en snarled.  There is a way out!  I promise you there is a way out! 
I wish I could take your hand and make you walk through the open door that is Jesus, but it is a decision you have to make for yourself.  This is a step that you must take on your own.  I know that it is scary.  I know that it is confusing and that there are a million questions with no answers right now, I know this, because I too, was like you are, and on the other side of that door.
I too have made poor decisions that were supported by the behavior of my friends.  I was living a lifestyle that was not conducive to prosperity or happiness.  I was living for the feelings of the moment instead of the life ahead of me.   I have done drugs, gone to psychics, have had many different sexual partners, have lied, have committed adultery, I have done a lot… so I know the way it feels to live on the other side of God.
I can tell you, that living my life for God, is so much better than the life that I was living before.  The hope of tomorrow, of today, of knowing that my life is taken care of in itself, is worth putting all those things down.  
We all come to God on our own time and in our own way, but I hope that your decision to come to God is one that you make sooner than later.  I pray that you fill that ache in your heart and soul with God instead of with another drug or sexual encounter.
The work that God did in Simon is available to you!  God will leave you standing back in utter amazement, just as he has done for Simon, for me, and for many other people who walked through His open door.
All you have to do is accept Him and His Son Jesus Christ, and your transformation will begin as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment