Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Is God your prized possession?


I have a fear of fire.  I would say it is a rather new fear of mine, being that it is under ten years old.   The fear came very shortly after I lost my precious Grandmother, rather suddenly.  
This fear had a very strong grasp on my life, to the point I was having issues leaving my house without fear grasping me and holding me tightly.  I was afraid of my home catching on fire and not being able to rescue my dogs.  I still occasionally battle this fear and while I don’t understand fully, why it is still hanging around, I have tried my best to place it in the safety of God’s hands.
I try to not focus on the fear and possibly the loss, but on the goodness and mercy of God.  I ask for protection for my house, and for my girls every time I leave my house, and I do my best to rest in that comfort.  I do my best to find relief and comfort in the promises He has made to me.
We have been given many promises from God and we expect Him to hold up his end of the deal, but yet, when He asks us to keep our side of he promises we have made, it’s easier for us to fall away.
It’s easy for us to allow other things to become more important, more time consuming and more delightful then God.  We have found a new way to live that is very unbalanced.  One side being, God you must do all that you have promised me you are going to do, and I will “try” to do put you on my to do list.
You see God isn’t a to do list.  God isn’t something we have to do, God is something we need and want to do.  God is the relief that we are looking for amongst all the other things we make more valuable than Him.

When you decide you are going to make a change in your life or in your mind, you purpose yourself to make that change, to follow through with it and give it your all.   Why don’t we ever do that with God?  Or better yet, why don’t we ask God to help us make the change.  To show us how to make the transition easier for us or to give us help along the way. 
We have decided to make God a back seat, or maybe even a third row, participant in our lives, and if you take a moment to look around your life, you will see this hasn’t been working.
God wants to be more valuable to us then our possessions.  God wants to be more important than your iPhone, your computer, your television or even your job.  God wants to be more important to you than that chart you have to spend time reading the Bible to get a check mark, God wants you!
We all have possessions that we cherish. We all have those things that mean more than anything to us, and we will grab them in time of an emergency to save them, but do we feel the same way about God.
Would we grab God’s hand in time of an emergency?  Would we grab a hold of the Bible to cherish and protect?   When there is an emergency do you grab the phone to call someone or do you call on your heavenly Father to be there?
So many times we are putting God on a shelf and dusting Him off for appearances or when we really need Him, but we really need Him all the time!  We really need to have God become our driver, instead of our passenger in our lives.  We need to rearrange our schedules and what we find to be important and make God number one in our lives.
I have said this many, many times to one of my friends; you can’t take it with you.  You are not going to be facing the end of your life and asking about that possession, or thing that you didn’t get done on your to do list.  No, you are going to be asking about what is important to you. The things that you need to live your life, the things that enhanced your life, not about the things that you allowed to steal your life.
When you make God your possession, your vital need, you are placing your life in the hands of the one who gave it to you.  You are saying I trust you God.  I know that I need you more than I need anything else in my life, and I am going to show you that I know I need you, by placing you first in all of my ways.
God values us, we are His prized possessions, and He is just waiting for you to make Him yours!!                                                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment