Monday, October 27, 2014

The Blind Leading the Blind


Matthew 15:14  Let them alone and disregard them; they are blind guides and teachers.  And if a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a ditch.
When you make a decision in your life to change, to become different than the person you currently are, you must make not only a mental decision but also a physical one, as well.
When I decided it was time for me to lose weight, and that I was no longer going to be passive about my weight problems, I had to not only make the decision mentally, but I had to make the decision physically as well. 
I had to make a change, well a lot of changes, but they all started by activating the change.
 I can say all the time I am going to lose weight and that doesn’t make the pounds slide off of me, no, I have to put physical work into the act of losing weight. I have to choose better foods, eat meals instead of skipping them, drink more water and work out. 
There are no hidden secrets, no lose twenty pounds quick pills, it was work, dedication, desire and lots of help from Gods.   I had to be proactive and not reactive to my decision.
How nice would it be to sit back and wish away those twenty pounds that have come back from my recent medical issues but I know that it’s not going to happen that way.  I know that once again I have to make the effort; I have to take the steps needed to have the outcome I desire.
This works the same way with God.  God needs to see us take the steps, be proactive, reach out for Him, ask for help and show that we are serious about the changes we want in our lives.   He is most likely not going to just do it for you, though He can, but how would we learn if He did?
I know you might not see the correlation between verse 14 and my weight loss story, but to me, when I was reading this verse over and over again, I kept thinking, you can’t be the same person, and not expect to fall in the same ditch.  You can’t be broken and lead someone to healing.    When my eyes are closed to my own situations, my own faults and shortcomings, how am I ever to open the eyes, or help open the eyes of someone else?
If you are an alcoholic and you desire to be sober, the last thing you should do is go to a bar, or a place where there is alcohol.  Most likely all of your “friends” and I use the term loosely, are also people who have alcohol issues, or have drank with you, so you can’t still be friends with these people when they are the temptation you are trying to resist.
We can’t claim that we want change and then do the same thing.  To me this is the blind leading the blind.  When you allow your old lifestyle and decisions to impede your decision to change you are going to fall back in that ditch, with the same people you have fallen with before.
I can never be a teacher or guide to what it’s like to battle addiction, but I can help someone make a plan to reach a weight loss goal.  Now, I am by no means the one you want to come to for these things, but I have struggled with weight issues, so I know the struggle of them.  I know the pain of this battle, so my eyes would be open to the other person who is starting their change.
We have become a society that needs immediate results, food, answers, money, employment and satisfaction, that we don’t know how to make a change and stick to it.  We think or have been trained to think, that change is to come easy, and it’s not.  If change comes easy for you, then you have not learned the lesson you needed to learn to keep you from wandering down that road again.
I think this is the main reason we don’t see miracles like they did during the times of the Old and New Testament.  I think that if miracles were still happening at the frequency that they were back then, we would never work or try for anything in life.  We would hit the button, snap our fingers, or click our heels three times, have the miracle and go about our daily lives. 
We wouldn’t glorify God, we wouldn’t give Him the honor and respect that He deserves, because it would be normal, ordinary and we would absolutely take advantage of it.
It would no longer be a miracle it would be a normal day!
I believe in my heart that God wants to perform the miracles like He used too, and I do believe He still is, but in areas that have not become independent of Him.  I believe He is still showing off and out all over this world, but not to the extent that I think He wants too.
In Matthew 15:13 it says.  He answered; Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be torn up by the roots.
We need this verse to spring off the page, grab us by the shoulders and realize this is what we need!  We need this verse to ring truth in our ears and hearts.  We need to see evidence of this in our daily lives to realize that God is indeed in control of our lives and the world around us.
We have become so incredibly desensitized to pain, suffering, hunger, starvation, homelessness, animal abuse, human abuse, sexual perversion, child trafficking and the list goes on and on, that we need Matthew 15:13 to be in bold RED across our foreheads.
Everything that God has not planted in your heart, He should remove.  Every single thing that causes Him pain, that doesn’t glorify Him and causes people to move away from God, He should remove from us and it should be painful.
We really need to wake up and see what is happening around us.  We are allowing the Blind to lead the Blind and we are doing it willingly.  We are turning a blind eye to the brutal world that we live in and closing the door to war that is raging around us.
We have become complacent and that is not what Jesus Christ died on the cross for. 
Jesus did not die for me to live in a mediocre world.  Jesus did not die for me to tuck myself safely in my home and live in a destructive world, full of hate, anger and distrust.  
Shame on us.  Shame on us as a body of Christ.  Shame.
We have allowed the blind to take over this world for long enough, we have allowed the plants that we have planted to sprout and infest the sacred ground that was given to us by God and it’s time that we make a change.
We are so fortunate that we have a Savior who loves us so much that He died for us to save our souls, and lives, so that we can have eternity with Him and other believers, but we have even become vanilla about that!
We live in a world where if one person takes the blinders off of their eyes, and changes the view for those who are following them, we can begin to affect change.  We can begin to honor our Lord for the sacrifice that He made.
It takes one person to start the movement.  It takes one person to open their eyes and allow the plants to be removed from their lives, that are not pleasing to God and begin anew.   It takes one person to say I am going to be accountable for the life that was taken for my own.  I am going to live my life in honor of the One who died for me.
You don’t have to make some big proclamation to this change, all you have to do is have a plan, connect the plan mentally and physically and then walk it out. 
You can be the change that will help open the eyes of those around them.   You can be the one who stops those around them from falling back into the same ditch they were just in, and showing them how to enter the kingdom of heaven. You can show them Jesus by just deciding right now, you will no longer allow the One who died for you, to die in vain.
We are all accountable for our lives.  We will stand in front of God on the day of reckoning and give an account for our words and deeds.  I don’t know about you but I don’t want to stand in front of God blindly!  I want to kneel in front of my King and have my eyes wide open, knowing I did my part in trying to open the eyes of those around me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment