Thursday, April 10, 2014

God should always be our first call.


Why do we make Jesus prove himself to us?  Why is it that we need sign after sign after sign to make sure that we are hearing from God?  Just like Gideon, we keep asking God for signs to show us that we are actually hearing from him.  Gideon, first asked God if he had the right person to complete his task, then Gideon asked him to show him a sign, in which God did, and then he asked him to show him two more times that he was in fact hearing from God.  

I personally understand this as my spirit says one thing but my head tells me another.  There is witness that comes to my soul when I am hearing from God.  There is a peace that enters into me, a calmness that washes over me, but in a matter of moments that has gone, and fear creeps in to steal the moment that I was just sharing with my Heavenly Father.   I set myself to fulfill the task God has asked me to complete but the entire way I am hearing negative things in my head. 

Just like Nathanael, I have moments of doubts.  I have moments where it seems as if it is completely impossible for what God has called me to do, for it to actually happen, and then I set myself on course, to do my part, and let God do the rest. 

A lot of times I will reach out to my good friends or my mom to help steer me back on course.  I find it quite ironic, as one of my good friends will say, that the people who love me, know me the best can believe something for me, that I have a hard time believing for myself.   A lot of times I will rely on their faith to strengthen my own. 

It has just occurred to me in this very moment that is exactly what God is asking me to do.  God is asking me to allow his strength to strengthen my Faith.   I wonder why it’s so difficult for us to completely fall into the arms of God.  Why do we have such a hard time believing, relying and trusting God?  

Jesus asked this very same thing in a rhetorical question to Nathanael.  When Nathanael came to meet Jesus, for the first time, he was quizzical and unsure of where he stood in his belief, that Phillip, Andrew and Peter had in fact found the Son of God.   I personally don’t doubt that Jesus existed.  I don’t doubt that he died a very painful death for me and my sins.  I don’t doubt that Jesus loves me.  I don’t doubt that the Holy Spirit lives inside of me, but I do have some questions, when it comes to how everything is going to come together. 

Hearing from God can be a very profound moment.  There are many emotions and thoughts to being a relatively new hearer of God.  At first it started with just a few words here and there, and not anything really specific, other than I will take care of you.  As time went by the few words turned into many words, and the many words turned into sentences, and the sentences grew into paragraphs and pages.   I never really, and still don’t know, what I am going to receive when I look back at the pages I just typed on either my computer or iPhone.    The one thing I do know, for certain, is that I am not hearing from the enemy. 

I have prayed for some time now, to have wisdom, understanding and for God to speak to me on what I should be doing with my life.   I have prayed to the Holy Spirit to use me and to give me insight, understanding of what I was reading, or just direction as to what is happening in my life.  I have also prayed for the Holy Spirit to speak to me and to convict me when I am out of God’s will for my life. 

So at this point you are saying, so why then are you surprised that you hear from God?  I don’t know how to answer that other than, I just am.  Every time it happens, I sit in wonder that God of the universe has just spoke to me.  That the God, the Creator, My Lord has just given me insight, wisdom and direction for my life.   I kind of feel like God should be too busy to worry about my relationships and what is going to happen with them.  But then I remember God knows all things.  God knows, and wants to hear from me, what is happening with every facet of my life.  And he really wants to be included in the things that will directly affect my life with him, which is everything.   

It is true, God is a jealous God.  He wants you all to himself, but not in a selfish way.  He wants you to make time for him.  To share your life with him, from the biggest thing that happened that day, to the very smallest thing that happened.  He wants you to talk to him all day long.  He wants not only to be thanked for what he has given you but he also wants to know what your desires are.  He wants to know when your soul is hurting or when something has you so angry you could have a very fleshly moment.  

He wants to know everything. 

There are many times that something has happened in my life that has upset me or brought me joy, and the first thing I do is call my friends.  I think maybe that hurts God.  I think God wants to be the first phone call.  I think before we call our BFF God wants to know how you feel.  Give him the chance to give you direction and help you sort out whatever the feelings may be.

God wants to be our best friend.  He wants to be our everything and when we seek God, we will be guaranteed to find him.  He is not hiding from us but he will also not push himself on you.  He wants to be your first choice.  He wants to know when you are married, have kids and a busy life that you will still take those moments out of your life to spend with him.   He doesn’t want the crumbs he wants the cake!  He wants all of you.  

God will ask you to do things at times that are so outside of your comfort zone that it seems impossible for you to do.  I think that he does that because it is impossible for you to do.  He gives us these tasks that stretch us beyond ourselves, because then we have to go to him, to do them for us.  He will put you in a situation that there is no possible way for you to get out of so you have to take your hands off of it and let God work.   The hard part, at least if you are anything like me, is the waiting and having Faith for the wait.

Faith is not a feeling that we slip in and out of.  Faith is a decision.  I am deciding to stand in Faith for this situation.  I am deciding to stand in Faith for this promotion or I am deciding to stand in Faith for this relationship.   Some days will be easier than others and then there will be days where you wonder if you even have enough Faith to spell the word Faith.   I believe that God knows this going into the trial.  He knows that this is going to stretch your spirit and kill your flesh, so if he knows that, he knows what you can and can’t deal with. 

You know the saying “God doesn’t give you more than you can handle”.  Well I think that is true, but I think there is a secret inside of that saying, and I think it’s God knows how much, he can stretch your faith to kill your flesh that you can handle.  We hear these sayings as if it’s to make everything shiny and new and you get this ump of I can do it power and really, all it does is remind you that God is in control. 

For those of you like me, control is a hard thing to relinquish.  It’s hard to say to someone, even God at times, here you go.   Here is my problem, take it, change it, remove it, mold it or change me, but please do something with it.    We really have ourselves convinced that we can do everything, like we are mini Jesus’s walking around in our own lives.  Which we are not, just so you know.  God is God, Jesus is Jesus and the Holy Spirit is the Holy Spirit.  I don’t see anywhere in the Bible that it say’s oh, and there was this fourth all-knowing person named Tonya, she was the only person capable of handling all of her problems.   I like to think, that’s what the Bible says, but God has a wonderful way of reminding me that is just not possible, and nowhere close to being true. 

Faith, confidence, trust and surrendering are all kind of the same things to me.  You can’t really have one without the other and if you are going to dabble with one of them, you are only going to dabble with all of them.  My challenge to myself, with God’s Grace, Mercy and Supernatural Strength, is to be enveloped in all of those wonderful gifts of God.  I want them to be second nature for me.  I want to get to the point where something happens, and I immediately think, God.  I know that God will take care of this and I am going to have Faith, Confidence, Trust and Surrender to the one who knows more than I. 

Until that day comes, and it’s coming upon me quickly, my flesh will still be stretched and killed daily, but my hope is that it won’t hurt as much as each day goes by. 

My prayer is that I remember that, God is the God of the impossible and there is no weapon formed against me that will prosper, that he is the light upon my feet.   I pray that I remember the fundamentals of God, know that with every step and every tear that falls, God will be there on the other end of my 911 call to Heaven waiting to help me walk through them all. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment