Friday, May 16, 2014

All you need is love!

Have you ever written a love letter to someone?  This letter could be at any stage of life.  Our love letters, start out pretty basic, do you like me, check yes or no.  They tend to evolve as our emotions evolve and grow.  As we become older, wiser and worldlier I think our ability to love grows as well.
I know that my ability to love has grown from my younger years to my today.  My ability to love has grown from last year to present time.   I believe that love is always evolving and growing and that we never really reach a pinnacle in love.  You never hit the top of your ability to love someone or something. 
I have loved many people over my years but the person, or yard stick I measure my love against, is the love I have for my Grandmother.    There is not another human being I have loved or liked more than that woman.  There was not another soul in this earth that has made me feel more myself, valued, loved and appreciated than she did.  She was and forever will be my favorite person.   God blessed me more than any person ever deserves to be blessed just knowing that woman, but getting to call her my Nan, well there truly are not words to express how my heart feels about that. 
I have been told that when you have children your heart expands and you love in a way you never understood before, and I have yet to understand that kind of love.  I do believe it’s possible, but I don’t understand it.  I do understand the kind of love that will allow you to forgive someone more times than they deserve to be forgiven and the kind of love that allows you to see the beauty of their heart instead of their mistakes. 
I am saying all of this because after reading John 17 tonight, especially 13-26, I feel like this was Jesus’s love letter to us.   As I was reading this my heart just felt loved.    Jesus was going on and on to God about how we should be taken care of.  He was asking and at times it almost seemed like he was pleading with God, on our behalf.  He was saying, I have given them Your word, I have told them what You have to say and now the world hates them because they believe Me, so please take care of them.   Protect them, keep them safe and from the evil one. 
It’s rather beautiful.  It’s this love letter of a Son to his Father, saying, Father, please, watch over the people that I so tenderly love.  Keep them safe, as I have brought them to you.  I have done as you have asked of Me and I have taught them of You and now they believe, and I must leave them, so please keep them protected.  Don’t let evil harm them and keep them safe from the world.  Allow them to be strong as they continue to go into the world and tell people about You Father.
He is saying I’ve shown them You Father.  I have shown them who You are.  I’ve shown them Your characteristics, what is right and wrong and perfect in Your sight.   I have told them to love just as You have loved Me and to share that love with the people in the world.  
And this verse I just love this verse.   In John 17:21 Jesus says, That they all may be one, (just) as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be one in Us, so that the world may believe and be convinced that You have sent Me.
This is just amazing.  Keep in mind this is before Jesus is going to the Cross.  He is asking God, to give us, you and me, the ability to become one with each other like He (Jesus) has become one with God.   Jesus is asking God for us all to be united as one.  That there not be a division between Jesus, God, you and I.  That the love between us all be equal and fluid.   What a beautiful vision this is for us. 
Jesus then goes on in verse 24-26 to say to God.  Father, I desire that they also whom You have entrusted to Me (as Your gift to Me) may be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory, which You have given Me (Your love gift to Me); for You loved me before the foundation of the world.  (25) O just and righteous Father, although the world has not known You and has failed to recognize You and has never acknowledged You, I have known You (continually); and these men understand and know that You have sent Me.  (26) I have made Your name known to them and revealed Your character and Your very Self, and I will continue to make (You) known, that the love which You have bestowed upon Me may be in them (felt in their hearts) and that I (Myself) may be in them.
Do you see the love letter here?  This is the epitome of a love letter.  This makes all love letters look foolish and amateur.  This love letter is for you.  You see that?  This is a love letter to God for you.  He is saying to God, look I have done all you have asked Me to do.  I have picked the men, all of them but Judas are doing Your work, and Judas was needed to fulfill Your plan for Me.  I have educated them, shown them, loved them, cared for them I have done all I can do now please My just and righteous Father, please, let them come with Me, so they can see My glory.
I just don’t have words for this.  Jesus has taken love to a new level.   Not only does he clearly demonstrate that he loves us unconditionally when he goes to the Cross to die for our sins but to go to God before this and plead for us, this is beyond love.
What sticks out to me with this is that Jesus, is going to God with all of his requests for us and He is telling God, please let them know what it’s like to be one with each other.    Let them be one with each other like You and I are one.  Let’s have this love that just flows from all of us and is equal in balance and shared among all people.   And God agrees!  God says OK!   Boy have we let them down!
If we can take one part of this love letter that Jesus said to God on our behalf, and make it true, just image the changes we would see in our lives.  Imagine the changes we would see in the world.   I think we should set ourselves, as believers in Jesus, believers in God and believers in following the Word of God, to do this. 
I challenge you to find something in this chapter that strikes a chord with you and prayerfully and purposefully be about changing it.  Change it in yourself, change it in your family, change it in your friends, change it in your work place and see the change begin to spread around you.  All it takes is one person to say, I am going to be the one who changes to activate change, how about that be you!   I am in… Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment