Thursday, May 15, 2014

Jesus is your GPS


Many times I feel like God is preparing me for something and I am not quite sure what it is.  I feel that I have more direction than I did four months ago, but still there is a fog on the horizon of my purpose. 
I think it’s kind of like coming out of anesthesia.  There are different levels to coming out of the deep sleep you are entered into through anesthesia, and I think that’s how God prepares you for your purpose.   Once you are at the level of being able to speak and have a bit of a conversation, I think that’s where I am.  I know my surroundings but I couldn’t really tell you everything. 
This to me is like chapter 16 of the Book of John.  Jesus is preparing the disciples for the fact that He is leaving them, and really stressing to them that this is in fact happening, and quickly.  He is trying to prepare them for the heartache they are going to feel but also to tell them, that they must continue doing the work they have been trained to do with him, for the past three years.  He is warning them that satan is alive and that He will try to tempt them when they are no longer covered by Jesus’s daily protection. 
Jesus was a shield from the enemy for the disciples.  While Jesus was in the world, as flesh, satan was trying to attack Him and his efforts were to lead Jesus astray.  Jesus was bearing the brunt of satan's full attack, and He is now trying to prepare the disciples for the attacks they will be receiving.  He is trying to let them know that the world is going to hate them.  The world is going to treat them just as they did Jesus, and not to be surprised by this, and to remember how they treated Jesus. 
Jesus is also, trying to getting them to understand that yes, He is the Messiah, He is the Son of God, but He is more than that, He is God.  Jesus has always spoken to the disciples in parables and riddles; He never spoke directly to them, so that they would be able to learn the lesson for themselves, but all the while doing the work of God in the earth.    He tells them I am no longer going to speak to you like this, as I am now going to speak to you like God speaks to me, directly. 
When Jesus begins to speak to them this way, and no longer uses parables, this is when the truth comes to light for the disciples.  This is when they see Jesus for who he truly is.  He is not only the Son of God, but he is God himself.  He is God’s word made flesh.  The fear that they have about Jesus leaving them and what is going to happen to Him, I believe lessens because they know He will be safe, as He is in control.
Jesus also reveals in chapter 16 that we no longer have to present all that we are to God when asking for something, we are now able to come to God presenting all that Jesus is.  This is an enormous gift that still today, we don’t understand. 
I feel like the Crescendo of this chapter is in verse 33.  This is where Jesus says, I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have (perfect) peace and confidence.  In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer (take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted)!  For I have overcome the world.  (I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.)
Jesus is giving the disciples, and us, a road map at how to live our lives.  He is saying, don’t worry about things, don’t be in fear of things, I have it all taken care of.  He was telling them, hey, you don’t know it yet, but I am going to shed My Blood so that you can have everlasting life with me in Heaven.  Your sins are going to be washed away by My sacrifice and you will forever be free.  There will no longer be a need for condemnation or for atonement.  You will be able to go to the Father, presenting all that I AM, not all that you are and hold your heads high.
Don’t worry about the world and how they view you, your job is to live the way I have instructed you to live and bring people into my kingdom.   Jesus is saying that not only shall you be in peace but you shall be in Perfect peace.  This means, He is giving us His peace.  He is giving us the ability to not just have peace, which is amazing, but to have His kind of peace.  The peace that passes understanding.   Because we are joint heirs with Jesus, since we are adopted by God, we have the ability to have all that Jesus and God have. 
We not only have their peace but we have their confidence, courage, cheer, power and ability to overcome the world.  We have inherited all the characteristics that Jesus had.  Pretty Cool.
Jesus says I know there is going to be conflict, trials and tribulations in the world, but don’t sweat it.  You are going to be frustrated and distressed but again, there is nothing to worry about, because you have Me.   How does He know that we don’t have to sweat it or worry about it?  Because He personally sacrificed His Blood to overcome it. 
The things that we enter into on a daily basis in life are the exact things that Jesus hung on the Cross for us to overcome.   He died to shield us from experiencing all of these mental and physical attacks from satan.   Every drop of His Blood that left His body to cover our sins and defeat not only the grave but all of the attacks that satan has/had for us. 
When we entertain the attacks from satan we are belittling the Blood of Jesus.  When we allow a day to go by where we are worried, upset, defeated, depressed, anxious, and sad or whatever emotion you are feeling, we are devaluing that precious Blood. 
Jesus conquered the world for you and me.  Not just for people over 2000 years ago.  His Blood was shed for us as well.  It was shed for every person who has or will ever draw breath and we need to start to stand in the value of that sacrifice.  We need to start to cherish that Blood above anything else in our lives. 
That Blood has POWER to heal you where you stand.  That Blood has the AUTHORITY to keep the devil where he deserves to be, under your feet.  That Blood is what gives you and me HOPE for today and tomorrow.  That Blood has WASHED us white as snow and that Blood has given us ETERNITY. 
It’s time we also open our eyes, come out of our self-induced anesthesia and be about the work that He has created us for.  We are here to bring people into the Kingdom, just like the original twelve!

No comments:

Post a Comment