Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Every day we have hundreds of opportunities put before us, small little decisions that we must make.  Should we wear this shirt, or this shirt?  Should we have a bagel or crackers?  We are bombarded by messages and advertisements on a daily basis that we can easily become sensory overloaded. 

We can become bogged down when it comes to needing to make a decision.  Some people are able to make quick decisions.  They can make them at rapid speed and have no regret or question the decisions that they have made.  Then there are people who struggle to make one decision, and then are tormented wondering if they made the wrong decision.

God gave us free will and sometimes I am not so happy about that decision he made.  Sometimes I think it would just be easier if all my decisions were made for me and I was just told what to do and where to be.  I find myself in this space when I have many decisions to make and unsure of what direction to go in.   I would just like to escape reality and hibernate and pop back up when all of the chaos has gone away. 
I realize while that is a very satisfying situation for me, it doesn’t teach me anything.  I don’t learn anything while I am avoiding the challenges of life.  I cannot grow into the person God has called me to be if I hide my face under the covers, until the chaos disappears.  I must stand and stand firm during the chaos. 
There are many times I feel pulled in different directions, one way is to do what is fun and comfortable to me, and then the other way is to do what I know is approving to God, and is going to grow my relationship with him.   I struggle with these decisions and when I chose the wrong direction I know it immediately in my spirit.  I have gotten to the point that the activities I used to desire to do are no longer fun for me and when I attempt to do them, I am either bored or annoyed that I am spending my precious time doing them. 
On the other hand, sitting at home reading and writing can get lonely too.  I am in a transition with my life.  I am between the life that I lived which was filled with sin and was leading me to death, and paradise, which is the life where I choose God’s path for me and turn my back on sin.
It says in Romans 6:12 Let not sin therefore rule as king in your mortal (short-lived, perish-able) bodies, to make you yield to its cravings and be subject to its lusts and evil passions.
Sin did rule my life.  I didn’t recognize it while living among it but there was an ache in my heart that remained no matter what sinful activity I was participating in.  I never had a feeling of true fulfillment and wholeness while in the bar, doing drugs or having pre-marital sex.   All of these things left me feeling empty.  Granted, in the moments, most of the times I had a good time.  I enjoyed myself and my friends, but the next day, all of the holes were still there, and sometimes I’ve added a few more.
I, like many people I know, tried to fill their holes with sinful and lustful desires and it says in Romans 6:21 But then what benefit (return) did you get from the things of which you are now ashamed? (None) for the end of those things is death.
Not only is Paul referring to a spiritual death, but he is also referring to a physical death.  There are many times when you are living in sin, you make very poor decisions and those decisions can end in the death of you or another person.  When we have decided to choose the life of sin we can’t be surprised that death and destruction come hand in hand with it.
Alcoholics and Drug Addicts don't become Alcoholics and Drug Addicts overnight.   They made a decision to enter into a sinful act and found themselves repeating that act over and over, until they became dependent on that sinful act.    I do personally believe that Addiction is a disease, as I know many people who suffer from Addiction, but I also believe as true as I am sitting here, that God can heal you from your Addiction.  I believe that if you call out to God and you ask for help and receive Jesus as your savior God can, and will heal you where you are.  Miracles happen every day; they are there for all of us.
We need to be very aware and mindful of the decisions that we make every day and when we are bogged down with too many thoughts or decisions we begin to lose focus, and make poor decisions.  We begin to lose focus on God. 
Jesus came and died for us so that we no longer have to live in sin.  We no longer have to die to sin.  We have a choice that we can make to live in sin or to receive his Blood and Grace and live an Eternal life.
In Romans 6:22 is says But now since you have been set free from sin and have become the slaves of God, you have your present reward in holiness and its end is eternal life.  (23) For the wages which sin pays is death, but the (bountiful) free gift of God is eternal life through (in union with) Jesus Christ our Lord.
The Bible states it clearly here is black and white.  When you accept Jesus you accept God and you accept Eternal life.  You are no longer a slave to sin.  You no longer live in the death grip of sin.  You are free from sin, not from the lures of sin, but free from the life of death and sin.  You will have God’s Grace (unmerited Favor) to resist the sins that once knocked on your door.
God can and will give you the ability to change your life, by changing your desires.  I once desired to be in the bar with my friends on Saturday nights, now I desire to be home reading and writing for God.  I once desired to stay home on Sunday mornings, now I desire to attend church on Sunday mornings.   God has changed my desires.  He has taken the things that once caused me death and has filled them with things that now cause me life.   He can do this for you too.
We all have so many things coming at us every day, and like I said, so many decisions to make all the time, but the one decision that should be above all others, is to accept the free gift that Jesus died to give you.  Accept this free gift of salvation and with that comes, exchanging in your ticket for spiritual and physical death for a ticket for Heaven and Eternal life.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment