Monday, July 7, 2014

Pushing past your limits

I played sports while growing up, from I’d say eight to twenty-two I was involved in some sporting team, I was either playing or I was coaching, but I was involved.   I would never say to you that I was great; I was ok, in all aspects, from being a teammate, a player, a coach and a spectator.   I loved it though.   I enjoyed being a part of a team and everyone working together for one common goal, to win.  I am still a team player.  I still like being on a team and having a challenge to rise to.
 
I remember when it was time to get our uniforms for the start of Softball season.  We weren’t able to pick our numbers as the coaches took care of that, probably so they didn’t have twenty girls fighting over the same numbers, but I remember being really proud to have my name on the back of my shirt.  I remember feeling like I was a part of something greater than myself, alone. 
I was part of a team.  That’s something that I miss as an adult.  I miss playing sports and wish I would have drank in every moment and sealed it in a special place in my memory for days like these.    For some of the teams you had to try out to be on them, some of them everyone could be on a team, but only a select few got to play.  I was one of the ones that got to play, and I loved it.
I never realized as a young person how important the learning process of sports would play in my adult life.  I never really soaked in the fact that each coach had something different to teach me and their own way of pushing me to another level.  They had to bring me to a level that I wasn’t aware I was able to achieve.
I remember one summer during rec ball my coach had me run the bases almost every practice.  I hated to run, and still am not a fan of it, but he had me as the base runner practice after practice.  I understand now that he was conditioning me to understand the patterns of a base runner, since I was a catcher, but also showing me that my ability is limited by my thinking.   He showed me that someone could push me farther than I could push myself.
He had a plan in his mind for me and a way to execute that plan effectively, and he did so.  Not only did I learn more about the game but I learned more about the strengths that I have inside of me and my physical ability.  I learned that if I trust someone, even when I am doing something I don’t want to do, that I will experience growth from that opportunity. 
To me, this is like our relationship with God.  He sees the potential in us, because He put it there.  He sees the ability to go another step, run another base or push a little harder.  He sees how we come together and how to force the best out of us, for Him to use for His kingdom.
In Romans 8:29-32 it says the following.  (29) For those whom He foreknew (of whom He was aware and loved beforehand), He also destined from the beginning (foreordaining them) to be molded into the image of His son (and share inwardly His likeness), that He might become the firstborn among many brethren. (30) And those whom He thus foreordained, He also called and those whom He called, He also justified (acquitted, made righteous, putting them into right standing with Himself).  And those whom He justified, He also glorified (raising them to a heavenly dignity and condition or state of being). (31) What then shall we say to (all) this?  If God is for us, who (can be) against us?  (Who can be our foe, if God is on our side?) (32) He who did not withhold or spare (even) His own Son but gave Him up for us all, will He not also with Him freely and graciously give us all (other) things?
This is saying, in a nut shell, God created you to be you, and the things about you that the world has taken over He will change.  He will conform you and change you into the image of His son, so that you will be representative of Him and his goodness in the world.  And if He is doing all of this for you, you have to imagine that He is going to set you apart.  He will put a purpose or calling on your life and he will make you righteous in His sight, so then He is able to help you achieve the purposes, He gave to you. 
He is doing all of this so you can bring people into His kingdom and bring Glory and Honor to His name and ways.  So if you are believing in Him and working in His kingdom and obeying Him, then you should never be surprised that He is going to be there for you.   You should never be surprised that His name is going to be on your batting order, in the clean up position I might add.   
God didn’t spare any expense, idea or period of time creating you and the plans He has for you, so expect that He will also anoint those plans.  He will not withhold anything from you, and it is foolish for us to think He would.  He gave us His Son, just so we could enter into a relationship with Him one on one.  Do you really think He can’t handle your problem?
I broke my hand one summer playing Softball.  I sacrificed my hand and safety for an out at home, and I did it for my team.  I did it so that my team would stay in the winning position.  No one on my team asked me to do that, but I did it because my shirt says I am part of this team.   I continued to play in this three day tournament with a broken hand, I got the out by the way, because my team needed me.
God is saying the same thing to you.  He is saying I need you on my team.  I can bat clean up but it does me no good if I can’t get anyone on the bases.  I can’t bring you home if you aren’t out on the base when I am up to bat. 
You are wearing an invisible jersey that say’s I am playing on team God and I hold the number one position.  I am His most valuable player, and It’s my job to bring people to God and it’s His job to change them.  I can’t do His job and He needs me to do mine.  
We are all a part of a team.  Whether you played sports as a child or were involved in a club, theatre or whatever it may be, you are part of a team right now, and that team is team God.  We are all human beings striving to be the best that we can be and the only way to reach that pinnacle, is to allow God to work in you. 
You know my coach went through all that work to bring out the best in me.  To raise me up another level in my ability to play Fast Pitch, and it worked, because I let him.  If my human coach can do that and leave that strong of an impression on me, imagine what God can do for you if you let Him.
He created you with a purpose, He called you, He made you righteous.  What then can we say other than I trust you, I believe in you, and I am going to do my very best for you!   Team God is calling you will you put on your jersey and get in the game?

No comments:

Post a Comment