Tuesday, July 15, 2014

GPS...God's Protective Services

The walk as a Christian can sometimes be a difficult one to travel.  As things start to change around you and your desires start to change, without any effort from you.   It can be a very overwhelming, stressful, scary but yet very beautiful time in your life.

As God starts to transform you into the image of His son Jesus, you will start to see things in your personality change and align more with the word of God and not the person you once knew.  People might start to notice a change in you and how you handle situations.  They might notice a calmness that is now resting in your soul.   This is the work of God in your life, and know that He is making all the changes He needs for you to fulfill the call He has on your life.
As Christians we are to be salt and light in the world.  We are to make people thirsty for God and reveal their brokenness and the way to healing, through our words and actions.
I personally have always been one who believes the actions of people over their words, as words are easy to believe, but action takes effort.  They do go hand in hand but the follow through is so very important to me.  When I see someone stepping out to right a wrong or make a change in their lives, something inside of me changes for them.  My heart softens for the person who can align their words with their actions.   I will do anything I can to support a person who can stand in the truth of their words and actions.
Not that long ago, I was the person who cut you out of their life on mistake number one.  I was the one who says, you have one shot, make it a good one.  And when you messed up, because you would mess up, I proved myself right and moved along in life without you.   I would allow you the opportunity to show me who I assumed you were all along, and again, most times, I was right.
I am thankful for the internal GPS system that God has given me, GPS standing for God’s Protective Services.   God has graced me with an internal knowing about people.  I get a sense about people and their intentions and can see through the facade of their words and into the core of their motives.  I believe God gave this to me as a way to shield myself from additional harm in my life.
As I have eluded in other writings I come from a pretty tough background.  My childhood was very abusive and I saw many things that I would not wish on another human being in life.  I have lived in fear for most of my life and have craved security and stability.  I have found these things in very few people in life, but I am finding them all in God.
I was getting ready for work the other morning and the initials GPS popped into my head, and then God’s Protective Services came right after that.   I thought isn’t that cool, and went about my day.  This has remained in my head for days now, and still has not gone away, to the point I wrote it in my Bible tonight before my nightly reading.
I feel like God gives us all an internal knowing, a way to keep us from fear and harm, and some of our knowing is stronger than others.   To me this was God’s way of saying, I know that you are not in a great place right now, and I can’t change that or deliver you from it, but I can protect you from having any more of it.    I think that’s why I have always had a feeling about people whether it is good or bad.
I don’t have many memories of my childhood, very few photographs, and even less happy times that I can recall.  I think this is my brains way of shielding me from pain that I am not able to bare.  God has revealed things to me over the course of my adult life that have been very difficult, but He has also walked me through each step. 
Abuse can come in many forms, you can have physical, sexual, mental and spiritual abuse, and unfortunately I have experienced them all.   I was placed in situations that were extremely unsafe for me and have shaped me into the person I am today.   I was watching Dr. Phil one day, not a show that I watch often, but I remember he was talking to a family about the abuse that their child was being exposed to and he made this statement and it has stuck with me ever since. 
He said, and I am paraphrasing, but he said, when a child comes into this world they have a clean blackboard.  There is nothing written on their blackboard, they are fresh, and the people in their lives will write on the wall of their blackboard, and that is what they identify themselves to be.   So when a child hears that they are loved, valued, wanted, desired, cherished, appreciated, special, beautiful, smart and worthy all those words are being written on the blackboard of their identity and they will grow to accept and become those words.  In a sense they will adopt those words as who they are. 
When a child grows up hearing you are stupid, ugly, I don’t love you, I don’t want you, abandoned, neglected, hit, called fat, worthless or unworthy, they adopt those words as who they are meant to be.
This was a very profound moment for me and a way for me to understand one of the reasons why I have always felt less than in life.  The people who wrote on my blackboard didn’t write words to edify me they wrote words that described them.   They transferred the feelings they had about themselves on to me.
I think this is why God tells us in Romans 12:14 Bless those who persecute you (who are cruel in their attitude toward you); bless and do not curse them.  And in Romans 12:18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 
Now, as a young child this is hard for us to understand, let alone do, but as an adult we have decisions we can make.  We can decide if we are going to allow ourselves to take out our anger on others, or allow for God to make amends for the wrong that has been done to us.
Romans 12:19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave the way open for (God’s) wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is Mine, I will repay (requite) says the Lord.
God gives all of us an internal GPS (God’s Protective Service) to protect us from harm and devastation or from being the one who brings harm and devastation to another person.   We decide whether we want to heed the internal sensing or continue to walk in the ways we think are best for us. 
God protects all of His children, as we are the apples of His eyes; we are the rhythm of His heart.  He doesn’t want to see any of us harmed, but if we don’t listen to the promptings from God He can’t shield us from ourselves.
What is wonderful is that even if you have lived a life full of horrible decisions, or like me had a bad start to life, and had their blackboard filled with words that tore me apart, instead of building me up, we have a savior that can wipe that blackboard clean. 
We have Jesus.  Jesus came to save us from any shame, sin, doubt or fears that we had.  He came so that we can flourish in the Grace, Mercy and Love that He showed us on the Cross.   Jesus took my sins and yours and made them white as snow. 
What this says to me, is that Jesus can take that blackboard, that has words that describe your old life and wash them away with words that describe who you are created to be.  Jesus can wash those words away, not only from your mind but from your soul and your heart.  Jesus can take everything that was broken and make it brand new.
If you take the GPS that God has given to you internally, and combine that with the sacrifice that Jesus gave you on the Cross, there is nothing that can hold you back from living a life that is full of abundance and hope.  Allow Jesus to wash away the despair and sadness from your blackboard and let Him write a new story for you.  One that is filled with His Grace, Mercy, Love and Peace. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment