Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I wish I had my dogs devotion

I have dogs, and obviously am a dog lover.   I never intended to have as many dogs as I do, but this is the way it has been for many years, and I believe it’s the way it’s supposed to be. 

I love all of my dogs equally, but I have to admit there is one that just melts me with not only her eyes but also her complete devotion to me.    She is the youngest of them and she follows me everywhere I go.  Her desire to be close to me and by close I mean as close as she can possible be, overwhelms her, to the point she will just sit and stare at me if I am not allowing her to touch me in some way.
The other dogs seem to have come to the understanding that the youngest, or little, as I call her, is always going to push her way through.  I have had her since she was seven weeks old, and received her during one of the hardest times of my life.  I think that’s partially why the connection between us is so strong.  She was my saving grace in a time when there seemed to be a void of grace, hope and mercy.
Every morning she follows me everywhere I go and will lay on the rug in the bathroom while I take a shower.  She is always watching over me and trying to protect me from harm. 
I said to her the other day, because yes, I am one of those dog moms who talks to their dogs, and I think they understand.  I said to her I wish I could be as devoted to God as you are to me.  How do I get as devoted to God as my little is to me?
She will do anything I tell her to do, she will sleep contently by my side, in any position, if I get up in the middle of the night, quickly she is up and looking around to make sure all is safe.  She is diligent in her affection for me and quick to admit when she has done something wrong.
My little girl is happy to have her head on my feet if I am working on my laptop, as long as she is close to me and touching me in some way.   My other dogs are just as in love with me as my little girl is, but this one, goes beyond her call of duty to show me her devotion.  
I want to be like my little girl is with me, to God.  I want to be as devoted to God as my little girl is to me.  I want to be satisfied sitting at the feet of God while His attention is somewhere else, just so I can be near Him.  I want to be on guard for God.  I want to be His protector like my dog is for me and watch for anyone who curses His name or could possibly harm Him. 
I want to follow God like my little girl follows me, hopelessly, and completely in love. 
In Acts 11:23 part of the verse says to cleave unto and remain faithful to and devoted to the Lord with (resolute and steady) purpose of heart.   This describes my little girl’s devotion to me, and how my devotion to God is to be. 
I am to cleave to and remain faithful to, devoted to the Lord.   I am to love the Lord constantly and walk out that love every day.  I am to love God more tomorrow than I do today.   I am my own competition when it comes to showing God love, I should be topping myself day after day with my love for God.
This writing might not have struck a chord with your heart, or maybe you don’t have pets and can’t connect to what I am saying, but what you can connect too is the fact that we should be constantly connected to our Lord and Savior.   We should love God more than we love anything else.  There should be nothing that God has to compete with, when it comes to your heart.
That’s how I feel when my little girl looks at me, like I don’t have to compete with anyone else for her affection and devotion and I want God to feel that from me, every day.
I want God to know that there is nothing or no one else that is more important to me than Him.  I know that I am the apple of His eye and in me He is well pleased, but does He know that my heart also overflows with love for Him?
Am I taking enough time out of my day, or should I say enough moments, out of my day, to thank God and let Him know that I love Him for Him.  I love Him more than I can even understand.  God needs to know that He is not in competition for our love and attention.  He needs to know that He is number one in our minds, hearts and lives.  When we decide to give God the place in our lives that He deserves, we will not only see our lives change, but we will be a part in changing the lives of so many others. 
My little sweet girl, has my heart, I love her and she makes it easy for me to love her, because she loves me!   Why do we love God… Because He first loved us!

No comments:

Post a Comment